SELF-ADVOCACY AND LEADERSHIP TRAINING (SALT)
BECOME A SELF-ADVOCATE – APPLY NOW!
Applications are currently being accepted for the 2022 session!
Starting April 4th Mondays 3PM MST until May 30th.
We believe that all Idahoans have the right to speak up for ourselves, and to choose the services we want. Decisions about our lives should not be made without us. To achieve these goals, we need to be self-advocates.
What is Self-Advocacy?
- Self-advocacy is about independent groups of people with all types of disabilities working together for justice.
- We help each other take charge of our lives and fight discrimination.
- It teaches us how to make decisions and choices that affect our lives. We can be more independent.
- It teaches us about our rights, but along with learning about our rights, we learn what we have to do.
- The way we learn about advocating is by helping each other gain confidence to speak out for what we believe in.
Who should apply?
Anyone with a disability who wants to make decisions about your own life should apply.
You may already be a self-advocate if:
- You have ever spoken up for what you believe in.
- You have taken responsibility for your life in some way.
- You have ever questioned people’s expectations of you.
- You have ever joined a self-advocacy group and believe that the group’s work is going to make life better for people with disabilities.
What will I learn?
You will learn how to:
- Speak or act for yourself.
- Decide what is best for you and taking charge of getting it.
- Standing up for your rights as a person.
When and where is the training?
The trainings will happen online using Zoom. Accepted applicants will be provided with a tablet/iPad for Zoom meetings, email, and internet research, free of charge. We will provide technology training and technical support to all self-advocates in the training.
How do I apply?
Applying is easy! All you need to do is complete the application. You can print the application and mail, fax, or email it back to us, or you can complete the application online. If you need support filling out the application, just let us know and we can help.
Need more information?
For more information or questions, call Lana Gonzales at (208) 336-3335 ext. 212 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Idaho SALT Project
Living Independence Network Corporation
1878 W Overland Road
Boise, Idaho 83705
Fax: (208) 384-5037
The Idaho Self-Advocacy & Leadership Training Project is a collaboration between the Idaho Council on Developmental Disabilities and the Living Independence Network Corporation, or LINC, a Center for Independent Living.